Sunday, April 6, 2014

Frustration and Clarity

I had a mini meltdown today. Yesterday I posted that it gets worse before it gets better. Jacob's eczema was starting to look worse but I thought it was because the candida was dying off. However, this morning his skin looked even worse and was not dried out as before. In fact, it looked like we hadn't done anything at all to help fix it. It looks like day 1, if not worse. I went over and over what it could be. I thought maybe it was the carrots since it was the only thing new that he started eating this week. But that didn't make much sense because he has had carrots before and never had a reaction, especially like this.




Come to find out he was given lots of animal crackers and goldfish Wednesday night at church. Sometimes the reactions do not start until a couple of days later.  In his teachers defense they didn't know. We hadn't thought to tell them. I'm not sure why either. The kids are with the adults for about 20 minutes in the auditorium and then they go by themselves to class. I'm sure if I had walked him to class I would have thought about hit.  It was just a case of miscommunication.

 Look at the picture above. What kid starts to look like that because of some extra animal crackers? I am frustrated that we still don't have blood results back. I am frustrated because I had to run around in circles for 3 1/2 years trying to find out how to help my kid. I am frustrated with birthday parties. I know that is stupid but if I have to explain one more time why my kid can't have a cupcake or ice cream, even the "organic" kind I am going to have a break down. I know it's so stupid.

  That's when I came to the realization. We put way too much emphasis on food. Why does the center of every celebration have to revolve around food. Not just birthday parties, but any kind of celebration. Food is suppose to be fuel for our bodies. If eating the correct food, it give us natural ways for our bodies to heal ourselves. So Jacob can't have a cupcake, so what?! Yes it is hard for a 3 years old to understand this. Yes it is hard as his mom to see him disappointed and feel singled out. Yes you want to just protect your babies and you don't want them to feel disappointment or sadness. You know what though? That's life. David, my husband and Jacob's dad, said that this is a good teaching moment. Jacob is going to have to learn that life isn't always fair. That disappointments and being "different" is hard. But it's not the end of the world. Do you want your 3 year old to have to learn this? No. But when is a good time for them to learn this? We have to just keep pushing on and use this as a teaching moment. Now does this mean I will never let Jacob have a cupcake? No. Does it mean I will never let him have treats? No. When his skin gets better and we figure out what is causing all of his reactions and get them under control he will be able to have the occasional treat. However, it looks like we are in this for the long haul. We can either let this be a  teaching moment for the whole family or we can let it stress us out and get us down. I rather stick with it being a teaching moment.

"Pray continually". 1 Thessalonians 5:17

No comments:

Post a Comment